So obviously it’s been quite awhile since I’ve logged on. I’ve been quite busy with work, class, the house and being sick. Yep, you heard right – sick. After being hacked on by multiple people and everybody else in the world getting sick (or so it seems), I managed to get bronchitis, strep and a sinus infection all at the same time. Fortunately, since we found out last time that I’m becoming allergic to certain medicine the doctor found one that didn’t cause a problem this time. Bad part was it really wore me out and I was out almost 2 weeks at work because of it….and I have to give the husband credit because really, I am a HORRIBLE patient. Now I’m better but still a bit tired. But the weather is (finally) getting beautiful and I’m hoping that means that I can start working on the yard soon.
While sick I plotted out all my flower beds (we’re talking almost grid pattern), chose flowers, and have this great big plan. The issue that arises is that I’d like to do raised beds to help with the red clay issue but we still haven’t gotten new gutters, etc yet because instead we had the house treated for termites (prevention is the key) and all the pine trees cut down (since one was housing termites). Turned out, it was a good move considering the 4 inches of random snow we had in February – that tree would’ve come down had we not had it chopped. Raised beds though make it harder to get gutters and all that. Plus, after the roof fiasco last year took out some of my grown azaleas (a few I had planted earlier last spring are thriving now), I’m hesitating on doing the yard stuff since it could kill them. So maybe I should bide my time another year…but I don’t know if that will actually happen.
I am excited because I’m getting much closer (post flowerbed, etc) to start planting veggies. That’s something I have wanted to do since we got here. In truth though, I’m trying to get the house organized and outside stuff done first because I know that will really take up my time. I miss having fresh veggies though and I don’t relish paying $4 for some green beans at the store during the season. I’m also trying to make a step towards going more green in that I’m planning to get at least 2 rain barrels so when the gutters are done, I’ll have my very own source of water that won’t cause a problem if there’s a drought like during so many summers here.
Now if only I won the lottery – that would pay for the stuff I’d like to redo and it’d be even faster.
No comments:
Post a Comment