This article includes a cute little seasonal food chart that husband found for me a few months ago. I LOVE the color scheme and how helpful it is. So I have now printed it and put it in a frame for my kitchen because for whatever reason, it's just too cute in my world. It also helps that I'm trying to incorporate more healthy and local food into our diet.
As part of my like of fresh things, and the fact that I don't handle paying over $2 a pound for green beans at Kroger I recently bought 2 raised beds and planted some veggies. Husband had to help obviously with my busted foot, but I can safely say that stuff is now growing and I'm looking forward to having fresh veggies. Growing up, my dad always (and I mean ALWAYS) had a garden so I didn't realize what I was missing really. Now I have quite the idea about it. Currently I've got corn, beans and peas coming up. The tomatoes, carrots and few things of broccoli are just starting to come through the dirt. I also have a few squares of herbs that I'm hoping will make things easy.
Last year I broke down and bought a pressure canner so I could store stuff, but then with everything so crazy I had no time to garden. So this year I hope to be able to break it back out and actually store some stuff for winter's use. It will give me my fresh and pesticide free food, and it saves money on the grocery bill. I still haven't planted the apple or peach trees that I am planning for eventually, but with all the rain this spring our yard plan is way behind. Maybe next year I'll pull that off. I figure when the apples come in I'll pick up a bucket at the farmers market and then make the apple butter that I do about once a year.
No comments:
Post a Comment