"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple." ~ Dr. Seuss

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Revolution...on so many fronts


So, as you may know I applied and was accepted to an online grad program for History since I finished up the other. Yes, perpetual student does adequately describe me at this point in my life. Anywho, the classes start today and one of the classes (out of 2) is Colonial and Revolutionary America. The books look interesting and it seems like she's fleshing the period out and not just focusing on people in wigs blustering about taxation or militaristic tactics which I approve of greatly. I hate military type books usually because I have little knowledge or care to learn about flanking maneuvers.

The second part of this revolution (of sorts) for me is that I have drunk from Apple's kool-aid and the new macbook came yesterday. I fought against getting an apple for so long, but in June I made the iPhone leap because all of my Palms kept dying and short circuiting. So when my much loved Dell laptop started really struggling about 9 months ago, I was not looking forward to figuring out a solution. I replaced the desktop that died with another Dell which works well (minus the current hard drive issue that is on it's way - but that isn't necessarily Dell's fault). So once I learned that I could not pull Blackboard up for classes on the old laptop and it took 15 minutes to warm up and get adjusted before I could ever type....it seemed like it may not need to live here anymore. Since I was finishing the other degree, it seemed silly to buy a new one but now with the advent of starting a whole new program it became the best time ever to buy a new one. The pretty, shiny, sparkly, most fabulous laptop ever macbook arrived yesterday and after a learning session with husband it really is great! Now if only I hadn't decided to plug in the iPhone which deleted my calender before we realized the desktop hard drive is shot. So he's working on that.....

And, last but certainly not least, the revolution has also meant that we had cable installed last week so we have TV! Cable installation has now given me digital cable (for BBC, HI, and all those channels that only I could love), a DVR and complementary HD which made husband happy. I am finally able to see the difference and I love that I can watch my favorite shows whenever I want (and have time to) watch them. It's awesome. Even better - I have the ability to watch football this season at my house! Squee!!!!

Now though I have more pressing matters: T-16 days and counting until the MPSE comps.

For your viewing pleasure, PhD comics describes my life so aptly

No comments: