As you can see, I was busy yesterday cooking and canning stuff from my garden. I tried the Prego Spaghetti Sauce recipe I had which seemed to taste close to the actual stuff and really good - without the watering down feel that Prego has had the past 6 or 8 months. Obviously, that's the red stuff. I also managed to get 2 pints out of the snap beans I picked yesterday and a pint out of my corn. Considering I've never made or had whole kernel corn not from a can, it was an experience of sorts and I LOVE the Oxo corn stripper now that I realize exactly how much easier it makes things. I also now understand how to use and work the pressure canner that I bought over a year ago now since this was the first time I've actually used it. I broke down and water canned the apple butter last fall. Now that I understand how it works and everything it seems way easier than I previously thought. :) Exciting times in our household - husband comes home, wife does laundry and canning, dogs and cats run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Never a dull moment around here.
Lesson learned during canning adventure: Lock the dogs up and give them a bone to chew...otherwise they won't stay out from under my feet (even close to the stove or while carrying boiling water). I'd prefer that I didn't take myself out doing something stupid like that.
Edit: August 9th The spaghetti sauce that I canned...not so great. Very lemon-y which I assume is from the lemon juice it said you had to put in the jars to keep it safe...but it was horrible with it. I think I'll attempt to make it again but use it at the same time to really test this theory out.
No comments:
Post a Comment